Pet Warning: Xylitol

Let me start by saying that my pup, Ruby Roo, is fine and 100% healthy now. She is at home and doing great! Yay!!

A few days ago, Ruby Roo knocked my purse down from a table and dug out a pack of gum. When I came into the room, I noticed a chewed up package of gum and wondered how many pieces she ate...I didn't remember how much gum was in my purse, so it could have been anywhere from 0-10 pieces. I didn't think much of it at first, but then before I went to bed at around midnight, I decided to google it and see if there was anything I should do. It turns out that gum containing Xylitol, a sugar subsitute, can be toxic to dogs. It can affect their blood sugar and their liver... So I took her in to the pet emergency clinic right away, where they gave her an IV with fluids all night, transferring her to her regular vet during the daytime. She stayed there all the next day and got a blood test the next morning. Luckily, all of her results came out perfect, and she has no consequences from eating the gum, if she ate any at all. It was a really, really scary experience for all of us, and I'm glad she is okay. Please let this be a warning for all other pet owners reading this: xylitol can be found in gum and candy, so please keep it away from your pets!

Ruby is happy and healthy and back at home, yay!


  1. Anonymous7:30 PM

    OMGosh- I saw your title and then little baby Ruby Roo and just about had a heart attack!!! I'm SO GLAD she is OK!! Thanks for the warning... I'll be sure to keep my gum away from the girls because they eat anything.

  2. YIKES that could have been really bad!

    Pets and kids get into all kinds of stuff that we don't think twice about!

  3. Anonymous11:51 AM

    Whew! Glad to hear she's alright. My cat once took a small bite out of a peace lily and I freaked! She was alright, but I had to get that plant outta here!

  4. Oh glad to hear she is ok! That sounds like quite a stressful and scary experience!

  5. Anonymous3:48 AM

    I love dogs, yours is so cute!

  6. Oh what a sweet poochie, glad she's okay.

  7. I'm so glad to hear that your little darling is okay. My Bichon girl (who has since passed) got into gum when she was a young dog too - but it was good ol' bubblegum with sugar.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog last week and for leaving such sweet comments about my little boy dog. He is doing really great now!

    Have a nice night.


  8. omg! great that all is good now!!! xx cat
    CiTiEs of B

  9. I hate it when the little ones hurt.
    Glad to hear she's better!
    (psst, there's something for you on my blog!)

  10. your puppy is so cute. . she so adorable.=)


Post a Comment

Popular Posts